Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Read below for a detailed overview on how driver education works, including how to enroll, obtain an Instruction Permit, scheduling Behind the Wheel lessons and how to get a Course Completion
What are the requirements to get an Instruction Permit?
Visit the Wisconsin DMV website interactive Driver License Requirements HERE
How do I get my Completion Certificate?
- Online Classroom Students: Your Course Completion will be emailed to you a few days after you complete all of the course material.
- Traditional Classroom Students: Your Course Completion will be submitted directly to the DMV after your last BTW Lesson.
How do I get my Instruction Permit signed (MV3001)
If you turn 15 ½ before or during the your classroom
- TRADITIONAL CLASSROOM STUDENTS,
- We will sign the form and give it to you in class! If you turn 15 ½ after you have completed classroom we will mail it to your house about a week before you turn 15 ½. Our signature on the MV3001 Temps Application is only valid for 60 days, so we can sign the form too far in advance. Before you go to the DMV make sure that the form you have has been signed and dated (within 60 days) by a KC's Instructor.
- ONLINE CLASSROOM STUDENTS
- After you complete all 15 Online Sessions and enroll in a Behind the Wheel course your BTW Driving School will provide the MV3001 form that you will take to the DMV. Each driving school has their own procedure for getting you the form. It is best to email your BTW Driving School in advance to coordinate getting the form.
I lost my permit or my temps expired what do I do?
- A. If you’re still doing your behind the wheels with us, you’re going to have to fill out another MV3001 form and have us sign it. NOTE: Make sure you have our signature before you go to the DMV! They’ll send you back to us so save yourself the trip. Email us on how to obtain another MV3001
- Hartland, Pewaukee, Oconomowoc and Waukesha areas email: firstname.lastname@example.org and
- KC's Watertown and Lake Mills areas email: email@example.com
- B. If you have completed all of your BTW’s, the DMV still has your completion certification on file. You can head straight there. Tell them your "completion is on file in their computer system".
I missed a class or two, is that okay?
State Law allows you miss class for “legitimate reasons". You will have to make up any classes you miss using our online classroom. There is an $10 fee for each make up session.
How do I make up a class I missed?
Go to our Online Classroom to complete your make up.
How old do I have to be to take the class?
You have to be a minimum of 14 and 7 months.
BEHIND THE WHEELS
How do I get my Instruction Permit?
1. First, enroll in our BTW Course!
- if you took or are taking our Traditional Course you did that on the first day of class.
- if you took our Online Classroom, enroll in our Behind The Wheel Course HERE
- if you are taking your BTW training with another driving school, you will enroll in their BTW course.
2. We will mail you a signed MV3001 Temps Application to your house.
- Why mail the form? The DMV requires an "original" signature and the form can not be emailed. You can't "pick it up" as it takes time to process your enrollment. Please be patient as it is taking about 5 business days to arrive via "snail" mail.
3. Go to the DMV and take the written tests and present your Original Birth Certificate, Social Security Card and Parent or Legal Guardian.
When is my first behind the wheel?
Sometime after your first day of class. Your behind the wheel driving school will let you know how to schedule it.
Do you have home pickup options for BTWs?
Yes we do! We do charge a small extra fee. It will be an option when you schedule a behind the wheel. Those pickups are very limited. We prefer not to spend too much of our lesson driving to and from student's houses. We are always happy to give you a ride home when we can. Just ask your instructor at the beginning of your lesson if they can work that out.
Why can I only schedule one Behind the Wheel at a time?
When students can only have one lesson at a time they make that lesson a high priority. You must complete a lesson before you can schedule your next. All teens are busy, we are not able to make exceptions to this rule due to sports, work, plays etc. in order to make it fair to students who have chosen to make driving appointments a priority.
How long do I have to complete my behind the wheel lessons?
As long as you need. Most people try and finish them quickly because you have to renew your permit after 1 year. You do have to have your first lesson within 60 days of us signing your temps application. Otherwise, take as long as you need.
What do I bring to the DMV to get my instruction permit?
1. Your ORIGINAL state issued birth certificate or passport
2. Your ORIGINAL social security card
3. A parent or legal guardian (or have your temps app notarized)
4. A MV3001 application (temps app) signed and dated by a KC’s instructor
5. Money, there will be a fee
How do I schedule a Road (Skills) Test
As you know, you must have your Instruction Permit 6 full months before you can take a road test. You can schedule your road test 11 weeks in advance of the 6 months ending. Go to the DMV website HERE to schedule a Road (Skills) Test
What do I bring to the DMV for my road test?
>Your permit (very important)
>Your social security card
>Your Course Completion will be on file in the DMV Computer.
What do I need to do to pass the temps test?
Study the Wisconsin Motorist Handbook There are no longer printed versions. They DMV also has smart phone apps that can help you. Visit Google or Itunes for more info.
I need to contact you, but no one answered the phone?
We do NOT keep normal business hours. Sometimes, we’re teaching class or driving with you. Most, if not all of your questions can be answered through our website, so do a little looking around first. Click on the “Contact Us” link if you feel your question hasn’t been answered yet. The quickest way to reach us is via email.
I don’t like my instructor, or have some other concerns?
Please let us know if it’s something you feel we can address. We love our staff, but we can’t know everything, and sometimes they need to be critiqued so they can improve. We are very strict with our instructors and take any criticism of them very seriously. Your student is our biggest concern. The good news is, people come in all shapes, sizes, and personalities. For the most part, we allow you to pick your instructor so go ahead and try out a different one for each lesson.
Do you offer adult lessons?
We focus mainly on Teen drivers, but do offer some adult lessons. Email us by going to the "Contact Us" tab above. We charge $165 for 3 hours of adult Behind the Wheel instruction.