KC's is authorized by the DMV to provide the official written test.
Prior to taking the written test be sure to read the Wisconsin Motorist Handbook. Or as an E book HERE . There are 19 questions in the back of the book and those will be very similar to at least 19 of the questions found on the test.
The Written Test is divided into 2 parts. A 50 question "General Knowledge" test and a 15 question "Highway Road Sign" test.
- OPTION 1: Take the test with KC's.
- NOTE: You MUST be enrolled in our Behind The Wheel Course (if you took our Online Classroom, you will need to enroll in our Behind The Wheel course prior to testing. If you are a Traditional Classroom student, you were enrolled in our Behind The Wheel during class).
- For KC's Watertown and KC's Lake Mills
For KC's Hartland, Pewaukee, Oconomowoc and Waukesha Areas ONLY we are holding the following "Written Test Sessions".
- information provided to students on the first day of the traditional class.
- If you took a Traditional, Blended or Online Course you are welcome to attend one of the Test sessions to take the Official DMV Written Tests.
- NOTE: There is a $10 Fee to compensate the instructor and pay for use of the classroom for the test session. Students can pay the instructor at the session. The fee is a one-time fee and if the student fails they can retake the test at a future test session.
- The session will be 2 hours long and include a review of basic concepts and then take the tests.
- OPTION 2: Take the test at the DMV
- Plan to arrive at least 1 hour prior to closing
- The test is offered free of charge and is a touch-screen computer based test.
- You will still need a signed MV3001 Instruction Permit Application Form signed by a KC's Instructor. The MV3001 is mailed to your house once you are enrolled in our BTW Course and are within about a week of turning 15 1/2.
- Prior to going the the DMV to get the Instruction Permit, make sure you have a KC's Driving School signature and test scores on your form. Students who take the Written Tests with us who meet the age and enrollment requirements will be give their MV3001 Temps Application at the Written Test session.
- NOTE: Remember our signature is only valid for 60 days, so you must get your permit and begin driving within 60 days.
NOTE: In either case above, make sure that before the student goes to the DMV to get their instruction permit that they have a signed MV3001 with either the scores lined out (if they did not take the test with us) or with the test scores entered (if they took the test with us) and that the date the instructor signed the form is NOT more than 60 days old.